Sunday 8 February 2009

Le Tiss and La Keen - an ungodly alliance

Back in the 1990s I was a big fan of the Southampton footballing legend Matt Le Tissier. Like many people I could never understand how a man with his sublime talent could have been repeatedly overlooked by a succession of England managers, particularly when the Brazil manager at the time let it be known that Le Tiss ("Le God" to many Saints fans) would have been the first name on his team sheet had he been Brazilian.

So I nearly choked on my paella this morning when I read in the News Of The World (Iberian edition) that the supremely gifted Channel Islander would be teaming up with the idle timeserver Ann Keen, alleged Member of Parliament for Brentford & Isleworth, in a national campaign to remind hospital patients and visitors to wash their hands.

The campaign was devised by businessman Ashley Brooks after he nearly died from the "superbug" MRSA.

Let me not be churlish about this – it is a splendid initiative and I wish Le Tiss and La Keen every success with it.

But that does not disqualify me from privately hoping that the voters of our constituency will be washing their hands of their own nasty bug sometime very soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if Matt really knows what he's letting himself in for ?
As we speak, 'Team Keen' are probably devising all sorts of truly cringeworthy photo opportunities to boost the profile of their gal.
The timing of this is also rather interesting - locally she's been taking one hell of a battering, now the perfect chance for her to re-present herself as a national heroine.
You've got to hand it to her (no NOT a stick of dynamite !)

Anonymous said...

Yes, I can see it now:
Matt decked out to look like an ugly, disgusting germ while a revitalised 'sweet as apple pie' Annie is presented as an angelic modern-day Florence Nightingale.
How could anyone not love her after that ?